LASIK eye surgery may dramatically improve your life and the way you see it. Your candidacy depends on a comprehensive vision exam by an experienced eye doctor to determine your personal visual needs and if LASIK is a good fit for you. LASIK laser eye surgery can correct such eye problems as myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness), and astigmatism. After your eye consultation you will have the chance to discuss the different laser eye surgery options and discover which would benefit your current condition and lifestyle.
Unlike many other providers, The LASIK Vision Institute offers a free, no-obligation consultation, so contact us today and speak with one of our Eye Care Counselors to get started.
Before going to your LASIK eye surgery consultation there are some general criteria that can guide you in deciding if this is the right procedure for you. To have laser eye surgery you should be in good eye health, good overall health, and have realistic expectations of the LASIK procedure.
Below are some eligibility requirements for LASIK surgery candidates.
Request a Free LASIK ConsultationGET STARTED
LASIK Candidates Should Have Good Eye Health:
– Your eye prescription should fall within certain prescription limits.
– You should have no eye disease, including keratoconus, uncontrolled glaucoma, severe cataracts, corneal disease and certain retinal and optic nerve diseases.
– You should have no residual or active eye conditions including optic neuritis, ocular herpes, some cases of amblyopia (lazy eye) AND strabismus (muscle imbalance).
– You should have no current or recurring infections.
LASIK Candidates Should Have Overall Good Health:
– You must be at least 18 years old.
– To be a good candidate for LASIK laser eye surgery, you should not have any autoimmune diseases, such as Lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, or multiple sclerosis.
– If you have diabetes it must be well managed and under good control and not have diabetic retinopathy.
– Certain health conditions may require medications that can slow or prevent healing. You should tell your surgeon about all the medications you are taking and have taken in the last year.
– You cannot be pregnant or nursing, or plan to become pregnant in the next 6 months following surgery. If nursing and considering LASIK laser eye surgery, you should wait at least 3 months after you’ve stopped. Hormonal fluctuations can affect vision stability.
Considerations & Expectations:
– In preparation for a LASIK procedure, you will not be able to wear contact lenses for an extended period of time before the surgery due to contacts temporarily altering the shape of your corneas. This amount of time will be determined by your eye doctor. For LASIK surgery this is very important. Discontinuing the wear of your contacts and allowing the shape of your cornea to go back to their natural state, your LASIK scan can accurately determine your specific eye dimensions. This will insure the laser is programmed to reflect your true visual state and allow the surgery to be its most effective.
– It’s important you are committed to following the LASIK post-operative instructions from your physician, including:
- Resting your eyes immediately following surgery.
- Using prescribed and non-proscribed eye drops to continue to the lubrication of your eyes after surgery.
- Follow-up visits to check on progression of your eye healing and health.
- Restriction on some activities that could impair the healing processes (such as swimming).